Friday, June 6, 2008

Twisters and Kids

Interesting. That is a word that Parker used quite frequently on Wednesday afternoon. Around 2:45 a major thunder storm blew in with tremendous winds, lightning, and thunder. I took a large golf umbrella outside to wait for the bus so I could walk my kids home in the rain. But...the bus didn't come. I went back inside and found out, between the power going out, that the schools were keeping the children at the school due to the various tornadoes that had been spotted throughout the area.

When the kids finally came home and I met them at the bus, there were some tears, whoops of 'coolness', and lots of talking about their experience at school. Their tornado drill was for real today. Now unlike my friend Carie and her kids in Alabama- who are quite used to tornado drills, sirens, and late buses- this was a new experience and somewhat frightening episode for my children.

Katherine wanted hugs, Parker wanted to talk about what an interesting day at school it was, and Raney wanted to talk about 'twisters'. And talk, and talk, and talk. Three children with three different responses.

At one point, Katherine came up to me and whispered, "Why does Jesus make tornadoes?"

Parker jumped all over dad when Todd came home and did a play by play of his afternoon and all the cool things that happened.

And Raney continued to talk about tornadoes.

On the way to the baseball game later that night- Raney was STILL talking about twisters. She had a running commentary going at ALL times. Katherine had her hands over her ears while Raney commented on the leaves, branches and other debris over the roads. These are some of her thoughts/compulsive talking:

"Twisters, I was in a twister when I was three at a museum" (I can't remember this but whatever!).

"I wonder if people died in that house?"
Katherine responded, "No, Raney- there are no windows broken".

And finally- my favorite:
"Twisters are good because they pick you up and put you down in a garden like on Wizard of OZ, right mom?"

Trying to make sense of life's occurrences. Recently Frontline did a Q and A service and addressed the question of why God allows natural disasters. Thought I would share. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Mike Wilhelm said...

As a Christian parent who is extremely interested in the weather, it was interesting to come across and read your blog entry.

Some of my weather and meteorologist friends' interest in weather began as a fear that turned into fascination.