Sunday, September 16, 2007

An Undivided Heart- Purpose

I was watching a documentary on Billy and Ruth Graham recently. The theme throughout the show was "the grace God provides". Todd has been talking about Grace in his last few sermons and I love the concept of sustaining grace in the midst of crisis or trials. But, in reviewing the Grahams lives and ministry- it was the sustaining grace that God provided on a daily basis.

It kept them steadfast (Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58), it kept them working for one purpose (then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Philippians 2:2), and it kept them together- even while being apart (It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. Philippians 1:7).

Undivided Hearts. Focused on God's purpose for their lives. Undivided doesn't mean that Ruth and Billy were always in agreement- I love one of the quotes famously said by Ruth, "If both people in a marriage always agree- then one of them is not necessary!" And even though they may not have always agreed, they both remained focused on the one call God gave them. God's grace sustained them through travel, issues with their kids, distance, grief, illnesses, and any kind of trouble.

I always think how hard it must have been on Ruth and the kids with Billy gone for months and months at a time. Our military families experience this as well. Sometimes, we forget, that it was just as hard on Billy and those who are separated from the security and love a home base provides. Todd used to travel so much more than he does now. And yet, it still bothers him to be gone from our house for very long. Hotel Rooms, and strangers, and airports can be very lonely even knowing you are doing it for a greater purpose.

Purpose. That is one of the keys to living a life with an undivided heart. Purpose allows you to align yourself with the Holy God who has good works for you to do, who has plans for you, and who desires that all people come to know Him. Knowing your purpose doesn't always make it easier to live life...sometimes it makes it more difficult. There are difficult decisions to have to make so that you are aligned with what God is asking you to do, sometimes there is pain and heartache- but to not listen, to not do God's will? For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification I Thessalonians 4:7. I have been very uncomfortable when I have chosen to ignore God's voice in my life. The proverbial being inside a fish with my voice echoing off the ribs, and hanging out with half-digested food comes to mind. Who grows up and wants to be Jonah? And yet, there are times we all are. We run from the purpose, the goal that God has set before us.

Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come...We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him... 2 Corinthians 5:5,7-9

And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father...Colossians 1:10-12a

It is obvious to me that to be undivided with God- we must pursue a life of sanctification, set apart for His glory, and to please Him in all things. He is our divining rod against what all things should be measured. And then there are many of us that know God has something even more specific for us to do.

Are you listening? Are you obeying?

1 comment:

Todd Phillips said...

This is so appropriate for my upcoming trip this weekend to Dallas and then my next trip to Africa only a week later. I know that God has placed these trips into my calendar for a reason. I also know that I long to be home with you and the kids. My prayer is that God keep us on the same path with undivided hearts focused on Him above all else. I love you!