Friday, December 7, 2007

My Grana

My Grana.  August 11,1933- December 6, 2007.

My grandmother was only 39 when I was born...I was her first grandchild.  Her presence in my life was such a constant throughout my years.  I am very close to my mother and consider her one of my best friends...Grana was an extension of that relationship and I loved it every time the three of us were together.  One of my favorite examples of this relationship between the three of us was when I was in college and my boyfriend and I broke up.  My mother and grandmother got in the car and traveled to my apartment in Waco, Texas.  They spent time with me so I wouldn't have to be alone and we went shopping...and laughed.  They came just for the day...just for me.

Some of my memories:
Going to her house and sleeping in the same bed with her all my young life until she remarried. She had satin pillow cases and the softest pillows.  I remember counting to 100 for the first lying in her bed and I remember being rather put out after she married Herb and I didn't get to sleep with her any longer.

I remember spending the night with her on Friday nights and we would have pizza and ice cream...and then we would get up on Saturday and clean her house since Saturday mornings were for cleaning.

I remember her staying with us when my parents were out of town.  My brother Greg took her dentures so we could see her without her teeth.  She chased him around trying to get her teeth- laughing the whole time.

I remember her going out dancing...and me being so proud I had this 'happening' Grandmother.

Heading to church each Sunday and knowing that one of would get to sit next to Grana was so very special.  I can still hear her voice singing...and picture sharing the hymnal with her.

Later on- I spent the weekend with her after I was married and visited her church in Taylor with her.  It was so much fun to share time with her friends, going to her Sunday School class. The ladies and the men would split up after large group...the Sunday I happened to be visiting- the subject in the Marriage and Family Series was Sex.  Grana and I got such a kick out me going to my grandmother's class to talk about Sex...it was rather interesting!

Grana was always available to me.  She was willing to talk about anything...and always shared her wisdom with me.  But...she was also willing to learn from me as well.  I just loved her.  

I am so lucky to have spent time with her.  I am so blessed to have shared spiritual things with her.  I am so inspired by her continual faith and perseverance in the midst of the many trials she went through.

Her first husband dropped dead of a heart attack when my mother was a Senior in High school, her father died and then her twin sister died a painful death of cancer all before she was 40.  

 Her life was not easy...and it was not perfect...but she looked to the cross of Christ and her Savior Jesus to carry her through and to provide meaning to her life.

In these last few months she spent time looking back...and her only regret was that she didn't share Jesus enough- even though there are many who will tell you that they know Jesus more because of her words, her love, and her example.

Grana's light is not gone even though she is no longer with us.  Her light has just spread out through the lives she touched shining brighter and sharing the light given to her through Jesus.

A verse from Proverbs 3 was part of one of my recent daily devotions.  I ended up reading the whole chapter and could hear Grana saying those words to me.  I recommend reading it when you have a chance.

And Grana...way up in Heaven- I am so glad you are with your Father in Heaven, having a party with all of those you loved and who loved you.

I will miss you. xoxo Julie



No comments: