Friday, November 21, 2008

Just Jesus

My job was to bring 24 small water bottles to Raney’s class for a party. I was afraid that if I bought them too far in advance- they would mysteriously disappear in the hands of the many and various children that come through my doors on any given day. My children love to provide water to the masses for some reason. So, I waited until the day of the party went to the store closest to my house and lo and behold- the shelves were bare!

There was water with raspberry, lemon and other flavors; there was water with electrolytes, added vitamins, and fluoride. There was boxed water with light sugar added for flavor and all other such nonsense. However, I could not find JUST WATER.

All of the sudden- a quote came to mind from earlier in the week. I had read it within my precepts class and the lesson God was teaching me reverberated in my head. This is the quote:
Who will honor God by treasuring His every word- especially over the words of human beings? O Beloved, woe to you if you have time for the writings of humans and not the writings of God. Kay Arthur (Isaiah Precepts- Lesson 4)

Maybe you don’t get distracted throughout your week by the creations of humans- whether it is music, written words or video- but I do. I was struck by the failure to find JUST WATER…and JUST JESUS not always being enough for me struck me. Sometimes I do my Bible study SO THAT I can read other stuff without guilt. Wow! So convicted…. The Bible is my speed bump to the rest of the road? How backwards is that?

Throughout the Bible we find references to thirst, hunger, and water in regards to the satisfaction found in Jesus/God/our relationship with Him. A profound example is when Jesus talks to the Woman at the Well (John 4). He doesn’t offer her anything except the Living Water-, which is Himself. It was enough for her…is it enough for me?

On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and shouted, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink! John 7:37

Matthew Henry says this about John 7:37- “If any man desires to be truly and for ever happy, let him apply to Christ, and be ruled by him. This thirst means strong desires after spiritual blessings, which nothing else can satisfy.”

People who make the water products today add all these extra things to make the water more palatable- ‘easier to go down’ so to speak. I think many of us Christians and Churches today do the same thing. We worry that teachings of Jesus and God are not enough- we have to make them exciting- adding elements that may or may not enhance people’s understanding of Jesus.

I would challenge us to think about this over the next few days or weeks. Is Jesus enough? Why or why not?

Dwell on God’s word, sit and be still listening for Just Jesus- blocking all other ‘enhancers’ so that you are able to hear God’s voice without all the other distractions. There is peace to be found when we realize that all our satisfaction can truly be found in JUST JESUS, we only have to reach for Him.

No comments: