Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dear Mom and Dad

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I took Parker and Katherine to the Orthodontist. I walked in there full of dreams of beautiful teeth for my children and walked out realizing I would not be getting a new car for a while- since beautiful teeth cost a car payment- especially with multiple kids. So, I thought I would write a letter and tell you both 'thank you'. Thank you for taking me to the orthodontist for many years and sacrificing. As my children continue to grow- I am realizing that sacrifice is what you guys did for so many years. You sacrificed for me...because you loved me. You made things look so easy...and yet I know now- that parenting is NOT easy.

Raney talks ALL the time! I think to myself, "no other kid can talk this much!" And then you tell me that I did. Wow! And I never felt like you were tuning me out- I always felt that you wanted to listen to anything I wanted to say- you must have had parenting superpowers to listen and listen and listen.

We have been going out to eat ever so often in actual restaurants- I started to realize my kids thought eating out was driving up to a window. We wanted to teach them how to behave in a restaurant- manners and all that jazz. And then the bill came?!!? Did you really take us to lunch EVERY Sunday? Again- sacrifice.

It kinda freaks me out when my kids ask hard questions- how did you know the answers? How did you make feel so safe? How did you hug me all the time? With three kids- I can get rather 'touched out'. Your arms were always open to me. Thank you.

And that whole getting us dressed every Sunday and going to church by 8:30am! Wow- hard work! It might make you feel better that we fight on the way to church too- I think a lot of families do. Satan is alive and well in the cars of many on the way to church.

I am already starting to freak out about our kids driving...and dating...and being responsible for their own homework and tests. How did you do it all? I really admire you guys and I am so grateful for your example in my life.

It is not all hard- the joys outweigh the sacrifice...so I get it..but it can be really hard. Playing games, laughing, wrestling, working through issues, praying together, talking about God- a family. It still surprises me that I am old enough to be at this stage in life. Where did time go?

Parker threw a ball yesterday and broke a window in our neighbor's house. He came in and told us immediately- and was so proud of himself- even knowing he was going to be paying for it. We were proud of him even though frustrated. I learned by you guys that 'there is always something'- you don't just coast through life.

Katherine is a little nurturer. Raney got hurt the other night and I wasn't there. Todd was kinda freaking out- so Katherine became the little mommy helping Raney get the band-aids. So cute! I love watching her grow up.

The other day driving with Raney we saw a clearing that used to be covered in trees. Her amazement was overwhelming. She innocently asked, "Wow- Mom, did the beavers do that?" Her imagination shines through and even though my ears get tired- I want her to stay little.

Just a little glimpse into what has been going on in our lives. Thank you for everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING!

I love you,

Julie

No comments: