Monday, April 20, 2009

Unconditional Love

Memories stand the test of time. There are memories that move in our minds like slide shows and others that are moving pictures. Sometimes the memories come in response to emotions, others to words that we read, and some others are just flashes.

One memory of mine has stayed with me over the years. I was in highschool and upset about something. Isn't it funny- I don't remember the reason- I just remember what happened after. I was closed off and numb, hurting. My parents saw this...and what I remember is my dad coming to me in the kitchen of our house and asking for me to hug him. His arms were open to me- but I was closed to him.

I shook my head to say 'no' with tears streaming down my face. So my dad moved towards me and wrapped his arms around me. My arms were crossed inside of his hug- but his arms were open and surrounding me. My tears continued to fall. I was so NOT wanting to respond. There was a part of me that resented his love and yet I felt comforted.

This memory comes periodically in my life when I think about unconditional love. My dad's love and comfort was not dependent on my response to him- but only because he wanted to love me. To love me...

I know I was hurting my dad by not responding to his love- I wanted to hold onto my pain and I wasn't sure how to make it end.

I look back at that experience now and wonder- if I had opened my arms to his love wouldn't I have felt even more loved? even more comforted? But, there are many days we fight the very love that holds us.

Such a beautiful picture of our Saviour's love for us. It is just there for our asking. There is a song out now called "By Your Side" that has the words, "Please don't fight the hands that are holding you"- and I totally relate to that concept!

There are just some days we fight the love that God has for us. There are a myriad of reasons- but the truth we need to hold onto and work towards is that God's love is truly unconditional and will be there- even when we turn away from it. But, our life would be so much more abundant if we don't fight it- if we allow God to love us, to mold us, to move us toward being more like Him. If we allow God to comfort us, maybe our pain wouldn't last so long. Wow- God is so amazing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Julie - Wow! Great blog