Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Impact?

The vision of McLean Bible Church is to make an impact on secular Washington with the message of Jesus Christ.

Vision Statement of McLean Bible Church. This town is all about impact. This week, in the death of Tim Russert- we saw how impact has ripple effects. I am a Russert Fan. I am also a Chris Matthews fan, an Anderson Cooper Fan and a Brit Hume Fan. I am NOT a Bill O’Reilly fan, a Glenn Beck fan or a Keith Olberman fan. I am sad that Tim Russert will not be there to guide me in processing the political climate of our nation.

But, what I noticed most this last weekend was the impact that he had on so many people- and not just politically. Russert was known to be a wonderful father, son, and husband as well as- boss. Though he was a well-known public figure- he also seemed to know the details of people’s lives. I am sure he wasn’t perfect- but I still was consistently struck by the bipartisan love he drew- something difficult in this town. The remembrances were personal, touching, and authentic. That says a lot for a man whose influence extends into the highest echelons of power. Details. That is where impact is made.

And I was left with a question. Impact? What is my impact? AND…is the impact am I making tied to the gospel of Christ? Once again I go back to Todd’s words to me so many years ago: “Julie, you are either drawing people to Jesus or drawing them away.”

By this time the crowd, unwieldy and stepping on each other's toes, numbered into the thousands. But Jesus' primary concern was his disciples. He said to them, "Watch yourselves carefully so you don't get contaminated with Pharisee yeast, Pharisee phoniness. You can't keep your true self hidden forever; before long you'll be exposed. You can't hide behind a religious mask forever; sooner or later the mask will slip and your true face will be known. You can't whisper one thing in private and preach the opposite in public; the day's coming when those whispers will be repeated all over town. Luke 12:1-3 (The Message)

Does my inside life and my outside life match? Do people know the passion of my heart? Is Jesus a part of my conversation? I cannot just ‘preach’- I have to LIVE out a life that draws people to God. Not only do I need to love God- but also I need to truly LOVE the people God created…all people- even the drive through worker that gets my order wrong. To make Jesus known…hmmmmm.

And I ask you the same questions:
What is your impact?
Is the impact you are making tied to the gospel of Christ?
Are you, and your life, drawing people to Jesus?
Does the inside of your life and the outside of your life match?
What is the passion of your heart?
Is Jesus a part of your conversation?
Are you LIVING a life that pleases God and draws people to you so that you can direct them to God?

No comments: