Monday, June 9, 2008

Ode to Campbell

My niece is growing up and I cannot wait to see her this summer. One my favorite things that she has done over the past couple of years is say, "I hold you" when she wants to be picked up.

Todd, myself, and my parents are never immune when she runs to you with her arms wide open, squeezing her little fists open and close and reaching for you, "I hold you, Aunt Joolie".

I love to pick her up and just hold her as she cuddles into me. It is a feeling too precious for words and makes me feel like I have conquered the world.

So very cute...but she is growing up and probably no longer says that anymore so I wanted to document it through this short little tidbit as I look forward to seeing her soon.

I was thinking about it this morning and was struck with a thought- Campbell reaching out to me and saying, "I hold you" reminds me of Jesus- reaching out to us with his arms wide open in the midst of trials, joys, and the normal hours of our day.

Jesus reaches out, his arms ready and says, "I hold you".

Not only does He desire for us to respond to Him, but He is telling us a truth- He already holds us! All we have to do is rest in his arms.

Isaiah 49
13 Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones. 14 But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." 15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! 16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands

Romans 8
38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalm 62
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. 6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Matthew 11
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

No comments: