Monday, July 23, 2007

Amazing Grace


There are so many variations of the hymn Amazing Grace. The lyrics were penned in late 18th century by a sailor, John Newton. He was converted after a storm while on a slaving ship and his later life was spent as a strong Christian and abolitionist.
I was listening to a song yesterday on the radio about a prodigal and the phrase 'amazing grace how sweet the sound' was part of the lyrics. That phrase specifically, is one that it used repeatedly in Christian songs or even songs about hope in general. I started thinking about it- it being that grace had a sound. What a strange concept!
Grace for each one of us is unique and specific to our life situation even though the basic concept of it coming from God- and we receive it even when we don't deserve it is the same throughout.
I started thinking about how Grace sounded in my own life. I hear it in the silence of the night when my children sleep. I hear it in their spontaneous laughter. I hear grace in worship when I am reminded of truths regarding God's prescence in my life. I hear it in the sounds of nature. Grace is a sweet sound. It is a sound like no other because it has nothing to do with our own actions.

If you have ever wandered away from the Heavenly Father- and you return- Grace is like rushing wind or a heavy thunderstorm. If you have ever been hurting beyond what you though you could handle- Grace can take many forms- sweet silence, the timely ringing of the phone from a friend, a hug, or even the sounds of the birds in the air. Maybe Grace sounds like the door opening- and seeing someone you love walk through the door when you never thought they would. Or like in the Bible, the sound of grace comes in the running of sandaled feet down a dirt road to a loving father.

Think about it in your own life. What DOES grace sound like for you? How has God manifested Himself in your own life?

Romans 5:16-21 (New Living Translation)
16 And the result of God's gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man's sin. For Adam's sin led to condemnation, but we have the free gift of being accepted by God, even though we are guilty of many sins. 17 The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ. 18 Yes, Adam's one sin brought condemnation upon everyone, but Christ's one act of righteousness makes all people right in God's sight and gives them life. 19 Because one person disobeyed God, many people became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many people will be made right in God's sight. 20 God's law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God's wonderful kindness became more abundant. 21 So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God's wonderful kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
And for all of us as Christians- Grace sounds like the suffering of our Savior- the amazing sacrifice of Himself to the Will of His Father. The nails being hammered, the cry to His father in Heaven, the last breath, and the sound of an empty tomb. Amazing. Amazing Grace- given to us by a loving God in spite of ourselves.

"Amazing Grace"
Amazing grace, how sweet the soundThat sav'd a wretch like me!I once was lost, but now am found,Was blind, but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,And grace my fears reliev'd;How precious did that grace appear,The hour I first believ'd!
Thro' many dangers, toils and snares,I have already come;'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,And grace will lead me home.
The Lord has promis'd good to me,His word my hope secures;He will my shield and portion be,As long as life endures.
Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,And mortal life shall cease;I shall possess, within the veil,A life of joy and peace.
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,The sun forbear to shine;But God, who call'd me here below,Will be forever mine.
John New­ton, Ol­ney Hymns (Lon­don: W. Ol­i­ver, 1779)

No comments: