Tuesday, July 31, 2007

God is So Gangsta!

"God is so gangsta, that is what I love about him"; quote from Jameka, Big Brother 8.
So, I watch a lot of TV with Todd being out of town. That quote got my attention last night. Where did it come from? What does it mean? Why did she choose to compare God to a gangsta? Etc.

Jameka's life is one that many of us do not recognize and one that I cannot really address. But, I will make some assumptions based on her use of the word and the background information we have been given. In her world, gangsters are in charge, rule the roost, and decide the fates. God does resemble that to some degree.

I don't think I am offended, more intrigued that she used the phrase as the highest compliment to God. She was taking something she knows and comparing what she understands about God to her life. In some ways, it is pretty cool. And an interesting catch phrase, "God is so gangsta!" But, God's motivations, thank goodness, are not the same, and nor are his workings.

Gangsters, in my limited understanding, operate for themselves and though they have boundaries or unique rules, their perimeters leak into the illegal, destructive, and and the 'survivor' mentality. The urban dicitionary explains mulitple descriptions of gansta: Notions of community sovereignty and self-determination are the core founding principles that uphold the "gangsta" philosophy. Of course,notions of sovereignty, self-determination, and autonomy are closely tied to the principle of a self-sustaining economy, which in a capitalist context such as the U.S., requires all gangstas to find a way to provide for themselves and for the gangsta unit. The most common resource that is utilized is of course commerce in contraband: illegal drugs, prostitution, and firearms.

However, gangs can provide community, a sense of purpose, and belongin to those who are searching and to those who are left out of the reaches of our Churches. Christianity can provide the same type of commuinity. You only have to look as far as Daybreak Ministry to see that. But, many times, our thoughts do not lead to action in creating community in places that so desperately need it.

God is gangsta in the sense that He is the all in all...He is the ulitmate decision maker, the one true God- the maker of all. But, He, in his ulitmate wisdom, has allowed us to be part of the decisions of our own lives. God in all his power says in Isaiah 46, "Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do(vs. 8-11).

That is what we, as Christians, must hold onto, the Sovereignity of God. God is sovereign, God is in control, God is our purpose, God directs our paths (when we let him in), God is all over the map if we would just allow His will to truly reign in our lives.

Finally, there is another issue with the 'gangsta' mentality. The Urban Dictionary goes on to explain: There is a conflict between those who consider themselves "true to the game" or "true" and those who are "big pimpin" or the "pimps". Each has its own interpretation of the gangsta principles - one that holds the values and foundational principles as absolute and controlling, and those who take a moral relativist approach and seek a favorable outcome on behalf of "gangstas" with little regard for the gangsta process. The not so invisible hand of market forces that exploit the gangsta in a quest to pimp the Americanconsumer is an aberration to those who are true, but a natural consequence and in some ways a vehicle for gangstas to "pimp" the system.

I personally find this conflict very interesting. It is the age old issue of the posers v. the real thing. Christianity has the same issue and Jesus Himself warns against the conflict in Mark 7, 6Jesus replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 7They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'] 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." 9And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions

So, what does all this mean? What is my point? Not sure. Just found it an interesting thing to think upon.

It definitely encourages me to be true to what my calling is in Christ- separate from the traditions of man, and it reminds me of the power of my God- and there is no other like Him- anywhere, at all.

And it remindes me of the story of Elijah and Mount Carmel. If you don't remember it, take a moment and read it:http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Kings%2018:16-39&version=31

And think about all that you see around you on a daily basis that reminds you that "The Lord is God and there is no other like Him!"

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him, all creatures here below. Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host. Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. (Doxology- Baptist Hymnal)

No comments: