Thursday, July 26, 2007

When I was a child: conclusion

I really do have a point to this blog. And it is this- our relationship with God is the main attraction. Church, community, mission trips, events, etc. are all the icing on the cake- the spokes of the main hub- intimacy with God.

Being in the ministry- you have the opportunity to visit many different churches. Todd and I have seen a lot of different types of worship, presentation, and ways of doing community. And yet for every one way of doing things we have seen- there are ten more different out there. We have gone to where we are called- and sometimes we have struggled with the formats of the church. At one, we enjoyed community- but struggled with some of the theology, at another we loved the worship but didn't have community, another church created passion for mission and uniqueness but we didn't have consistency and in one we found amazing relationships but found worship in other ways.

I share all this to encourage you to listen to God...and where He is calling you. Your church, your small group, your worship cannot be the all in all for you. God is the only one in our lives that has promised to be unchanged. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". Our sin as a Church (Big C) is to rely on humans and not God. The 'drive thru' mentality of Christianity as Todd likes to say. As ministers, lay people, and attendees we all look to other people for our joy, fulfillment, etc. and yet God is truly the only way to satisfy that thirst. Psalm 42 speaks to this so beautifully: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=23&chapter=42&version=31

Our hope is in the Living God. And that is why I share my journey. I couldn't remain in the safety of my youth group forever. What a waste that would have been! And my youth group didn't stay the same. There have been multiple changes in leadership over the years. My experience was not my brother's experience, and so on. Treasure the gifts God has given you in your growth times with your church or community as the catalyst- but do not hold on and remain to the point that God cannot move you forward. Listen to HIS voice...and not your emotions.

Our life in Christ is so much MORE than the local church and community. And yet, I know that that is the vehicle He desires to use to grow us, but we cannot replace our time with him with our time at Church on Sunday.

You may not agree with all of this...I am just sharing my own observations- and also speaking to myself. I loved it when my children were babies and though there are some days that are really hard- I wouldn't wish them to return to that precious time. It is a wonderful memory- a precious memory...and it was for a time- not forever.

McLean and Frontline are changing- community campuses are being created. The stage, the music, the staff are all shifting and moving in the direction the leaders feel God is leading. It is exciting...and at the same time hard. Once again- we are reminded of what Lon says: the church moves forward on its knees. Pray for your church, seek God for yourself- separate from organized church, and listen for His voice.

I close with this passage:
Philippians 3:13-15
13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.

No comments: