Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Jehovah Jireh

My children went to a bibleschool/summer camp a couple of weeks ago at Algonkian Park through a Presbyterian Church. They have such a blast being outside, playing games, learning bible stories, and getting wet (the get sprayed, shot at, or poured on if they get an answer correct). I am so impressed with the snacks. They are so creative. On the day the talked about Jesus and Peter walking on water- their snack was creating a boat out of graham cracker sticks and frosting, a carrot for the mast, and gummy snacks for the disciples and Jesus.

Anyway...they also received a CD with Christian music on it for the camp week. One of the songs is sung by a child and then other children join her. The words at beginning are "Here I am before you now on my knees" and then in chorus are "You say Lay it down, Lay it all down and forget, You say it Lay it down, Lay it all down, and then you say call me to you and you will provide, a way to leave these tears behind, and and help me forget".

It is so precious. I love that my kids are learning to go to God with their burdens and listening to little kids voices sing about this is such a strong reminder for me.

Sunday we went to get Parker from his overnight camp he had been at for the week and we were listening to this CD. Lately, Todd and I have been struck with all the suffering around us. Not the random suffering of the world at large- but the close at hand suffering of couples we know going through marital difficulties, life threatening illnesses, and bad job situations or even loss of jobs. I have been burdened. My heart breaks for each one of them, I don't know all the right words, and we struggle to just be there when needed.

This song reminded me of where to go first- to the Heavenly Father. I can also honestly say that in each situation of people we know going through hard times- their faith is carrying them through. They are all responding the the various crisis with strength, faith, and hope in Christ. As much as my heart breaks for them- I am also amazed.

God is a God of provision. Here is a poem written by my best friend.

Jehovah Jirah

My Jehovah Jirah, You hold me in Your hand.
My Jehovah Jirah, In Your very palm I stand.

My Jehovah Jirah, never to far away.
My Jehovah Jirah, You guide me through all of my days.

My Jehovah Jirah, my daily bread I await.
My Jehovah Jirah, Your provision is never too late.

My Jehovah Jirah, on you I will keep my eyes.
My Jehovah Jirah, You alone are my greatest prize.

My Jehovah Jirah, through feast or famine, I will not lose sight.
My Jehovah Jirah, my joy, my life, my light.

My Jehovah Jirah, one name of many, one promise to believe.

My Jehovah Jirah, let my heart not ever be deceived.

I kept thinking about this poem last night and singing the words to the song in my head. The name Jehovah Jireh came from Abraham in Genesis 22. He had just been told to sacrifice his son, and right before he actually went through with it, God provided an alternative sacrifice, a ram. Abraham's response was, "So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide(Jehovah Jireh). And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided." (vs. 14)

God is there for you, and for me. Look to Him in all things. Wait for his provision. And remember, God's provision may not look the way we think it should.

Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:25-26

If you are burdened right now, spend some time with the Father in Heaven, and Lay it all down before Him. Cry out to Him, Jehovah Jireh.

O LORD, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you. May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry. For my soul is full of trouble Psalm 88:1-3

No comments: