Friday, August 24, 2007

STICKERS!

Stickers and chocolate. Prized commodities at my house among my daughters. I was never someone who loved stickers but Katherine and Raney cannot get enough of them. We get them from the doctor, they get to pick them out, they are party favors from birthday parties, and their Mamaw also sends them stickers periodically in the mail. Chocolate is also pretty popular...and that obsession I totally get. One of these days they will move from stickers and chocolate to shoes and chocolate.

Anyway...yesterday we went to the doctor for a 'well-check' for Raney and of course we received stickers at the end. Katherine likes to save all of hers, and put them in her sticker notebook. Raney has a different way of handling. She likes to 'mark' people with stickers, but there is a progression. First, she puts it on herself and then later on she moves it to someone she loves, and then if it still has sticky left, she will put it in her notebook. I have realized that if you leave a sticker on your hand for more than a couple of hours- it hurts to peel it off. Yesterday when daddy got home, Raney was ready to pull her sticker from her shirt and put it on him.

She excitedly told him about the doctor, proudly showed him her sticker, and asked him if he wanted it. He, being the good daddy he is, was very responsive to wearing a princess sticker on his shirt. So, Raney grabbed the sticker and pulled.......and it ripped!

In my head I am hearing Molly from the Annie movie, "Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness!" while watching Raney fall apart because the prize she wanted to share with her daddy was ruined! It was very tragic.

But, Todd, reached out to her and said, "Raney, it is okay, I can make it better, watch this!". He reached out and got the two halves of her sticker and gently put them together on his shirt. Raney was watching very closely while her daddy took the pieces of her gift, and made it like new on his shirt. Afterwards, she climbed up on his lap and hugged him.

Times like these reach out and touch a mother's heart. I saw multiple spiritual elements but I also just enjoyed the moment- loving my husband as he loved our daughter.

No comments: