Thursday, August 16, 2007

Shadows

There is a familiar praise song echoing through my mind right written by Matt Redman:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near
And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAdgLR1ZGw&mode=related&search (video of song)

The other night at small group we were talking about shadows...they come in many forms- in our heads, whispers of Satan; in the forms of sickness or death; trials and struggles; and the fear of the unknown.

Our leader mentioned about when she was a little girl and what shadows were to her. I was immediately taken back to being a small child, not being able to sleep and my imagination taking over the shadows of the night. I was immobilized with fear.

Maybe if I didn't move the burglar wouldn't know I was awake
Maybe if I slowly moved my one foot that was out of the covers- underneath the sheet, the monster that was under my bed couldn't get me
Maybe if I ran really fast to my father while the person was on the opposite side of the house, I would be safe
And then...I would start thinking of all the things I could say to the shadow to make it go away.


Sometimes I dreamed about witnessing and bringing them to church as our guest. Other times I would try quoting scripture to myself until the panic subsided. As a child, the main verses I knew were John 3:16 and Psalm 23. This song reminds me of Psalm 23. It is a reminder to me that even in the shadows of life- I can still praise my Father in Heaven, who is with me, in whatever I am going through.

Shadows. Imagery of darkness. C.S. Lewis and Shadowlands. Fellowship of the Rings and the Dark Shadow...

But, we have a God of Light! James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

His truth shines like light in the midst of the darkness. His scripture chases away the shifting shadows, and His presence guides us into righteousness.

A favorite book of mine at Christmas is The Littlest Angel. I love the last few pages where God the father, takes the Littlest Angel's lowly gift- and makes it the light of Bethlehem. Obviously completely fictional- but so powerful to me. The illustrations show a large light shining down on this crouching, kneeling, fearful angel and a voice comes from the Heavens and speaks comfort.

That is what His light does- it speaks comfort. It speaks truth. It speaks love. It speaks strength.

Don't let the shadows in your life immobilize you. Go to the Word and arm yourself with treasures in Heaven that His light can shine through and allow God to chase away your shadows.

No comments: